His romantic heart wrote me a poem and we started dating in January 2002. We were married in August 2003 in the San Diego temple of the church for time and eternity (see pics of temple - looks like a fairy tale castle, doesn't it?). How amazing it is to know you've found the person you not only want to share your life with, but eternity with! The promise of our temple marriage is that we can be together without the borders of time on this earth. Being married is bumpy at times, as expected when two separate and distinct personalities try to merge their lives into one new one. Our communication has really improved and our selfishness has dwindled...a little :)
What a gorgeous place San Diego was. After making our promises to each other, we rushed off to Sea World with Mike's family to continue the family vacation. Some explanation has to be made here - Mike and I were going to drive down to San Diego to get married because I had just graduated from university, and Mike was only working part-time at General Paint while going to school. We were poor, but getting married! His family generously decided to fly us down there - by using years of accumulated airmiles, the whole family was able to go as well as his sister's boyfriend. So it was our honeymoon, but also the family vacation to southern California - including, of course, Disneyland. It was a great time and something to laugh about as we shared our wedding night with Shamu and the jumping dolphins :)
On December 19, 2007, our family was greatly blessed by the arrival of Tallan Matthew Blatchford, our first born - our beautiful baby boy. It was a hard pregnancy. I had cholestasis and gestational diabetes. I gained 50 lbs and was called a whale by friends, family, and strangers alike. It took a toll on my already heightened sensitivity, but holding Tallan, I would do it again in a heartbeat. He was 9 lbs, 4 oz, and 24 inches long. He was born at Royal Columbian hospital in New Westminster at 10:38am after 7.5 hours of labour - most of which was at home. I started feeling the first contractions just before 3am. I woke Mike up at 4am. Mike was the most amazing birth coach. He gave a lot of encouragement and reassurance, held my hand, showed a lot of love and excitement, and patiently cleaned up after me when I threw up and my water broke. We were visited by our midwife, Heidi Mok early in the morning but by that time, I was 9.5 cm dialated. Mike drove us down the road to the hospital to meet our main care midwife, Linda Peters. I stayed up most of that first night watching this precious life that we instantly loved so much - it was amazing just to watch him breathe. Our lives have changed forever.
I love him so much. Never could I have imagined I would be capable of so much love. He has made me happier than I have ever been in my life. His smile melts my heart, and his laugh is magical. I feel more alive than ever before - even with my tremendous and constantly surprising husband. It's those quiet moments when we cuddle that I realize that life is more than the world we live in and that gives me so much hope. I mean - look at this face...
Well, that's enough background stuff...tune in soon for regular updates on the Blatchford's :)
No comments:
Post a Comment