Thursday, September 11, 2008

Preggo Nancy Days

Since there are no new pictures, I figure I'll continue my stroll down memory lane with some pics of me pregnant. Before Tallan was born, we called him Bubba. To be completely honest, I really wanted a girl and finding out Tallan was a boy was a little disappointing for me. But knowing I was going to have a baby boy started to grow on me and I was very excited! Since his birth, I could not imagine having a more perfect baby and I kick myself for wanting anyone other than him.



I was an enormous pregnant woman, gaining 50 lbs by the last days of my pregnancy. I had gestational diabetes and cholestasis. Giving myself insulin shots in the belly was frightening and if it were for my own health, I probably would have taken my chances, but for Bubba, I found the courage. The worst part of my health ailments, however, was actually the terrible itchy rashes I had all over my body (but mostly my belly and legs) due to the cholestasis. I was up at times all night scratching my legs. I regularly piled cool gel packs along my body to keep the itch at bay but little helped. I still have many, many scars on my legs due to scratching myself so badly for months. I am still amazed at how less than an hour after giving birth to Tallan, everything started to clear up. My blood sugar returned to normal and the itching completely stopped.




We had 3D ultrasound pictures done of Tallan so we could get to know our baby more and his face could be in our dreams. It was really amazing to see his face for the first time - as Mike said, Bubba had the chubbiest cheeks we'd ever seen - baby or chipmunk. He was adorable, although Mike insisted we send a treadmill down into my belly so Bubba could work off some of those extra pounds. Born at 9 lbs, 4 oz, perhaps he did need a treadmill - nah!
















Because of the increased risk of stillbirth associated with cholestasis, I was referred to an obgyn instead of just being cared for by my midwife. Dr. Ubhi (sounds like oobie) was a very nice man. I often waited in his office for 2 - 3 hours for my 10 minute visit - it was clear he was extremely busy and tried his best to accomodate all his patients. Because of the cholestasis, and because my gestational diabetes meant the likelihood of having a large baby was very high, Dr. Ubhi monitored me regularly to see when induction may be necessary. As things looked like they were progressing nicely, he decided 38 weeks would be a good time to try to induce - that would have meant Tallan would've be born on Christmas eve! Tallan, on the other hand had something else in mind. I went into labour 2.5 weeks early - Wednesday December 19th, 2007 just before 3am.


Mike drove me to the hospital at 9am and Tallan entered the world at 10:38am. It was surreal. I was so happy to see him and scared at the same time. I watched him all that first night - the miracle of life before me. I couldn't sleep - I watched him breathe with wonder and awe. This little boy that I carried for 9 months was now sleeping in a plastic crib beside me. Every time he made a little noise, my heart jumped. I brought him into my bed and cuddled his little body in case he was cold. I could not fathom the love I felt for him. My mother once told me she would not let me sleep in the nursery at the hospital - she kept me in her room for fear someone would steal me. I always smiled to think she could love me so much and now I was in tears with the same love I felt for Tallan.


And there he was - a day old - an independent human being; a beautiful spirit entrusted to our care. He already had us wrapped around his tiny finger...before he knew he had fingers :)

No comments: